Friday, November 16, 2012

Where did my brain go?

According to WebMD, Pregnanacy Brain is REAL! See below!

Pregnancy Brain Is Real

Pregnancy does not change a woman's brain, though some women don't feel as sharp as usual when they're pregnant.
"If you read pregnancy manuals and listen to pregnant mothers – yes, there is such a thing as pregnancy brain or momnesia, and there is also evidence from research showing deficits in memory," says Helen Christensen, PhD, of The Australian National University.
But "the evidence from our study shows that the capacity of the brain is unaltered in pregnancy," Christensen tells WebMD in an email.

Reasons for Pregnancy Brain

If you're busy, or stressed, or short on sleep, it's 100% normal to have memory lapses or be forgetful, Christenson says.
"When you are not getting enough sleep and are multitasking, nobody's memory is good," says Jane Martin, MD, director of the Neuropsychological Testing and Evaluation Center at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center.  "You are not cognitively sharp when you haven't slept well."
Surging hormone levels and new priorities may explain why pregnancy brain happens.
"There are 15 to 40 times more progesterone and estrogen marinating the brain during pregnancy, and these hormones affect all kinds of neurons in the brain," says Louann Brizendine, MD, director of the Women's Mood and Hormone Clinic at the University of California, San Francisco.
"By the time the woman delivers, there are huge surges of oxytocin that cause the uterus to contract and the body to produce milk -- and they also affect the brain circuits."
Pregnancy also shuffles what gets your attention. Your IQ doesn't change, but your priorities do.
"You only have so many shelves in your brain so the top three are filled with baby stuff," Brizendine says.
Hormones may also affect spatial memory -- which includes remembering where things are -- in pregnant women and new moms, a recent British study shows.

According to Kristen Sullivan, Pregnancy Brain SUCKS!!!!! Seriously, I feel like I have a WAYYYYYY worse case of it this time than last. Or at least last time, it waited til the 3rd trimester to show up.
Recent examples: 
- I made Pizza Dip for a girls night. Everyone loves my Pizza Dip. I put it into the oven until it was bubbly and golden brown...then realized, I left off the pizza sauce
- The following Sunday after girls night, we did make your own Pizzas for dinner. I was helping Tyler with his and was about to put it in the oven...when again, I left off the pizza sauce.
-Our 12 week sonogram was at a different location than our normal OB's office.
I texted Ben that I had arrived for our appt. He said that he was here too but didn't see my car. That's when I realized that I never told him about the location change. Was he PISSED? Yes! Did I feel guilty? Horribly! 
- I ordered our Christmas cards which I was so excited about! They are printed and on their way to me as we speak...and TODAY...I realize there is a typo! $75 down the drain for a reprint! 

Please help...I need my brain back. This is so against this TYPE A girl's way of doing things!


No comments:

Post a Comment